Debbie Horovitch: passionate storyteller, connector and social media community manager.
As a social media concierge, I always want to hear about what it is that drives you, what are you working on, focusing on, trying to create? The more passionately, frequently and detailed you can communicate your dreams, the more everyone in your community will be able to help you.
Aside from being on social media almost all the time, I’m also a voracious consumer of pop culture and all other forms of traditional entertainment media. Instead of structured, highly rehearsed presentations, I usually prefer to spend the majority of my prep time researching the audience and their social media challenges, so that I can engage in a truly interactive discussion about the most common challenges faced by the group.
My perspective comes from 15 years experience working in Toronto advertising agencies as a media planner and buyer, so I like to think & talk about how social media can be effectively and easily integrated into a campaign that includes TV, newspaper, magazine, out of home and even interactive and search paid advertising campaigns.
My #1 focus when clients ask for media strategy is: what media and marketing options are available that will produce the MOST target group impact for the budget and creative available? I truly enjoy working with and maintaining relationships with media sales representatives of all traditional, digital and social media in Canada so that I can always bring my clients marketing opportunities that are truly unique and often custom created.
Want to know how social media ROI compares to your most costly marketing investment (paid media)? Talk to me!
I am available to book new speaking engagements in 2013 and I’m already considering a handful of conferences and corporate event opportunities around North America, including a cross-Canada train trip #HappinessTrain and California, Miami and Ontario’s cottage country. If you’d like me to speak at your business or professional organizations’ event or meeting, please give me a call or submit your info here.
At the bottom of this page, below upcoming and past speaking engagements, you’ll find some of my speakers’ reel of video presentations and slideshare of others, along with a few of the feedback quotes I’ve received from recent speaking engagements.
Contact me to enquire about professional availability of myself or partner speakers:
- Mike Dover, co-author WikiBrands, consultant
- Michael Chartrand, CEO 26Mondays Digital Gamification Firm
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- April – Rodney Washington Creativity Master Class – Master Trainer on Social & Pro Public Speaking
- May – Social Media Camp Victoria – Google+ Hangouts Speaker & Moderator
- June/July – #HappinessTrain – a 2-week blogger’s tour of cross-country speaking engagements & content development, raising funds & awareness for mental health organizations
- July – Rodney Washington Creativity Master Class – Master Trainer at California retreat
- Ryerson Univeristy DECAU: Social Media Biz Competition Coach
- SocialHRCamp Toronto: How to Manage Facebook When Transitioning to Your Career
- Corporate Automotive: 2-hour Social Media workshop for Toyota/Scion Dealers of Ontario
- Raindance Canada: Social Media (Producer’s Foundation Certificate)
- Corporate Media: Social Media Training for The Globe and Mail National Newspaper Media Sales
- Guest Presenter: Twitter TechTuesdays Webinar
- Keynote “Social Media for Students” at Mary Ward Secondary School
- Guest Presenter: Twitter TechTuesdays Meetup
- Keynote Speaker: “5 Reasons To Pay More Attention To Social Media in 2012″ custom presentation for mobiZONE Canada agency launch event
- Guest Lecturer: “Social Media Marketing”, University of Toronto V6
- Panel Moderator: American Marketing Association Toronto / Industry Experts
- Speaker: Social Media Marketing, Hong Kong Canada Business Association
- NXNEi Liveblogging event team, #2 Tweeter 1/2way through NXNEi
- Guest Lecturer: “Social Media Marketing”, University of Toronto V5
- PodCamp Toronto: “Making The Most of Your (Tiny!) Facebook Ad Budget”
- Social Media Week Toronto, logistical coordinator & #2 Worldwide Tweeter
- Guest Lecturer: “Social Media Marketing”, University of Toronto V4
- Guest Lecturer: “Social Media Marketing”, University of Toronto V3
- Speaker: “Social Media for Career Development”, networking group
- Guest Lecturer: “Social Media Marketing”, University of Toronto V2
- Speaker: “Tweeting Your Way To Success”
- Speaker: “Google & Your Reputation Management”
- Guest Lecturer: “Social Media Marketing”, University of Toronto V1
I was recently asked to prepare a custom 30-minute presentation for the launch of mobiZONE Canada in, a new digital agency who has been the social media agency for Wind Mobile for the past year.
And a corporate presentation I was asked to prepare (in collaboration with Big Reach Learning), for the Globe and Mail Newspaper sales professionals, on using social media to increase display advertising sales in May 2012:
Plus, a presentation I was asked to present to 200 High School students, at Mary Ward Secondary School during Social Media Week 2012 (February)!
Attendee Feedback & Quotes
“On multiple occasions, Debbie delivered fantastic face-to-face and webinar presentations for AlphaPlus’s Tech Tuesdays events. Focusing on Twitter and social media tools, Debbie offered hands-on training and shared tips and suggestions on how to utilize and maximize social media in the for-profit and non-profit setting. Debbie’s enthusiasm, passion and extensive knowledge of the topic had us all inspired and ready to implement the skills and ideas we learned from her. We greatly appreciate Debbie’s support and will definitely reach out to work with her again!” March 16, 2012 Monika Jankowska-Pacyna, Projects Coordinator, AlphaPlus
Debbie is a media-savvy person who knows how to help your company to advance its goals by connecting it with…everyone! She’s professional, punctual, detail-oriented and personable. I highly recommend Debbie to contribute to your team, project or plans.” July 21, 2011 Roger Pierce, CEO, Newcomer Startup
Debbie came in to my Intro to Marketing class as a guest lecturer. I wanted her to share her insights into how social media is completely shifting the marketing landscape. She was well-prepared with great slides and information, gave an authoritative and personable talk and was ready to answer questions with confidence and verve. I am inviting Debbie back to lecture again this semester because she added so much to my own teaching efforts” January 7, 2010 Judy Brunsek – Director Sales & Marketing, Novalis Publishing
I first met Debbie trying to sell niche market advertising into MBS. She stood out because she actually cared about the fit and value for her clients, instead of trying to buy the easiest reach package from the biggest conglomerate. We quickly connected and have remained friends for years. In 2001 Debbie strongly encouraged me to join Toastmasters where she had excelled and claimed that her recent promotion was due in large part to the presentation skills acquired there. I can honestly say that her influence changed the direction of my career and ultimately led to my position at the RCGA. Debbie is honest, quick-witted and charming. I highly recommend Debbie and trust that she will fit in and excel in any role she takes on.” March 17, 2009 James Laidlaw – Director Business Development, High Definition Golf
I had the pleasure of meeting Debbie as a member of a local Toastmasters International Club. Debbie has a great personality, she is very comfortable and confident when presenting. I believe that it was through Debbie’s motivational skills that she helped encouraged me to become president of the local Toastmasters International Club. I feel that is Debbie’s nature to bring her positive attitude into every situation she encounters.” February 26, 2009 Kevin Mersel – IT Team Leader, Mackenzie Financial
Debbie is one of the more creative thinkers that I have come across, and her visions and ideas are more often than not supported by an ethical platform. Debbie really does want to make the world a better place through pragmatic and inspired work, and she is the type of hard worker to help any project reach completion.” January 25, 2009 Ted Grand – Director, Moksha Yoga
August 23 - SocialHRCamp Toronto